Sunday, March 02, 2008

USC Elections in Diliman

On March 4, the almost 25,000 students of UP Diliman will be electing a new University Student Council. From Chairperson to Councilor to College Representative.

I hope students start practicing this early on how to be responsible and thinking voters.

Here's what I do when I select who to vote for a position.

First, I ask what does the position entail? Does it require leadership skills? Does it involve project implementation? So on, so forth.

Second, I gather all the data I can get on the candidates gunning for that position. I line them up side by side. Pictures, Names, Credentials and most important, Platform of Government.

I try to remember if ever met the candidates and what were my impressions of them. Did they shake my hand, greet me with sincerity and explain his platform?

Then I absorb as much information as my brain can digest. I compare and weigh the candidates.

Who I think is best for the position, that's who I vote.

Now, it's been 4 years since I last voted in UP, but if I were to vote today, I would write THIRD BAGRO for USC Chairperson.

I know him to be a competent student leader. He was the Chairperson of the CSSP-SC when I was USC Chair, and that Council submitted to us the most comprehensive compilation report on the proposed new UP Charter. All departments of CSSP had their input.

Sure, he's my brod, but so is fellow USC Councilor Paolo Mapula, and I'm not gonna vote for the latter if given the chance because I don't see eye-to-eye with him in terms of program of action.

Yes, he's running under Alyansa, the party I ran under before, but that shouldn't be an issue because I've been out of campus politics since 2005. And I also have friends in Stand-UP and Kaisa.

What I'm trying to say is, we shouldn't base our vote on relation or filiation.

It should be principally based on competence.

Third, I think, is competent. So, I hope he wins this Tuesday.

Good luck, Third.

No comments: