Wednesday, January 02, 2008

I am boycotting MMFF 2007

Every Christmas season, for the past 8 years or so, I make it a point to watch at least 1 entry of the Metro Manila Film Festival. I think it started with watching Jose Rizal, which starred Cesar Montano, in 1998. It was the first pinoy film that I thought was up to par with Hollywood movies. And then in 1999, Star Cinema came out with Muro Ami, another thought provoking film. Tapos Deathrow in 2000. Fantastic performances from Eddie Garcia and Cogie Domingo. Montano came back in 2001 with Bagong Buwan. In 2002, I watched Dekada '70 and Mano Po. In 2003, I remember watching Crying Ladies and Mano Po 2. In 2004 naman, I watched Mano Po 3 and Aishite Imasu 1941. In 2005, pinanuod ko yung Pinoy/Blonde. Then in 2006, I caught Blue Moon, Kasal Kasali Kasalo and Zsa Zsa Zaturnnah. These were pretty much good films.

Granted, not all MMFF entries are worth the watch (i.e. Lastikman, Pedro Penduko, Agimat, Enteng Kabisote, you get my drift), AT LEAST may isa na maganda every year.

Not this year. Ni isa wala.

That's why I'm sitting it out.

Di ko feel ang Bahay Kubo (a pinoy mano po). Can we please stop referring to Mano Po. I mean, you're beating a dead horse, man.

And then there's Enteng Kabisote 4. I watched one film of this series, and after hearing Alice Dixon's "...taga-lupa, Hmmmm!!!" for the 8th time within the first 10 minutes, I knew it was a crappy movie. I swore never to watch Enteng again. I can't believe this is a yearly top-grosser.

Katas ng Saudi? Jinggoy Estrada. I rest my case.

Sakal Sakali Saklolo. Ria and I didn't like the storyline of the first Ryan-JudyAnn team last year, so di kami naganahan panuodin to this year.

Shake Rattle and Roll 9. Is it just me or do most films this year rehash old formulas. SRR Part 9? C'mon, guys, talo niyo pa yung Friday the 13th franchise. A man-eating Christmas tree? Are you serious?

Finally, there's Resiklo. Was really tempted to watch this movie because of the teaser ads and Sen. Revilla's declaration that all stops were made to make this movie win the best visual effects category, but I remembered he said the same thing 3 years ago with Exodus and that was a dud. So, it's a no.

And then there was none.

I must say, I was really dissappointed with this year's entries. Wala man lang nag-tackle ng current events or history. sigh. How can we revive an industry that does not want catch up with the times. I mean, movie-goers are a lot more discerning now. We want quality films.

I guess, iintayin ko na lang si Will Smith at si Nicolas Cage.

Til next year!

No comments: