Wednesday, November 14, 2007

PopLaw Seminar in Ilocos


Today was the first day of the Barangay Law Seminar for Neophyte Barangay Chairs here in Ilocos Norte, conducted by the Institute of Government and Law Reform of the U.P. Law Center under its POPLAW Program.

Although the newly elected community leaders take their oaths on November 30 and therefore will hold office on December 1, I thought it best that they'd be informed, as early as possible, their duties as Barangay Chairmen. I have always been an advocate of continuing legal education, and Barangay Heads should be no exception. In fact, they should always be informed and updated since most of our new laws give them new duties and responsibilities.

Mabuti at my POPLAW Program ang UP. I learned about this when I visited my prof in law school, ma'am Rowie, sa Law Center. She was having merienda with Profs. Labitag and Sison and they told me to invite them to lecture in Ilocos.

So, I invited them and we pushed through with this project.

When we made a headcount, we only expected 150 neophyte barangay heads. This morning when I went to the Provincial Auditorium, which could accomodate a maximum of 200 persons, I was so surprised to see it full. 350 Barangay Chairmen came! They came from all over the province. Even those who were on their 2nd or 3rd terms came! Because the seminar was to be conducted by UP law profs.

Overwhelming yung attendance. And here I was thinking konti lang ang pupunta (as of Monday 130 lang ang nag-confirm). Akala ko mapapahiya ako sa profs ko at kay Gov. Keon.

Siksik, liglig at umaapaw!

Anyhow, nakinig naman yung mga kapitan. Interesting yung talk ni Prof DannyCon on Succession. tapos Property Law by Prof Labitag. Then Criminal Law by Dean Carale.

In the late afternoon, lecture naman on Sangguniang Kabataan Law for newly elected SK Chairs.

Maraming salamat, UP Law Center and POPLAW Program!
Maraming salamat sa mga dumalo!

Sa uulitin!

No comments: