Sunday, September 09, 2007

Who's out of shape?

After several months of softball hiatus, I took the field today as an outfielder for my team in a slo-pitch tournament. Prior this game, I did not practice. In fact, I haven't trained in a long long time.

I thought it would be a walk in the park. its slo-pitch softball for chrissake. Kayang-kaya.

After the first inning, I felt so tired already. the first inning! My gawd, tumatanda na talaga ako. Ni hindi man lang ako makatungtong sa first base. You see, I've always been a crap hitter. Ever since ILLAM and UAAP days, bano ako sa hitting. Pero kahit grounder lang kaya ko, umaabot pa ako ng first base. Kasi nga mabilis akong mag-sprint. Yun na nga lang contribution ko. Wala na. Ang bagal-bagal ko na. Pagkatapos tumapak ng base, hingal na ako ng hingal.

Tapos naka-teammate ko pa si John Estrada, who I think was playing his first slo-pitch game. And he was doing better than I was. Way better. I mean the guy didn't hit a homerun or anything, but I think he got on base.

In the end, our team lost the first game, 11-0, and the second game, 7-1. I didn't reach base at all. And, I got hit in the balls.

Who's out of shape?

I am.

No comments: