Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Congratulations, MC Entrep Batch 2009!

Yesterday I submitted the final grades of my taxation class in Miriam College.  All 25 students passed naman.  And if its any indication, I think all of them will graduate this coming March 28 (except you, Diane )

The picture on the left was taken on the last class day of their senior year (February 21), which also happened to be my last class in Miriam (I will be transferring all of my teaching load to Ilocos next sem).

I started teaching in Miriam in 2006.  My law classmate, Joey Tapia, had to leave for the States and was looking for someone to substitute for her in September.  She actually offered it to Kai Jiz, but I think the latter was busy.  I was getting bored in the firm I worked for so I grabbed the opportunity.  I remember after my holding my first class I felt so accomplished.  Like what I did actually meant something.  You see, I got depressed working in a law firm.  There, it's like things take forever to finish.  Everyday na lang it's the same old case.  And if ever that ends, there's another case.  It was a vicious cycle of never-ending cases that I felt useless.  Teaching made me share my knowledge to other people.  And when I saw the faces of my students, especially their eyes, conveying that they understood what I was saying and that they were learning, I felt good.  Honest to God, I felt good.

Joey didn't return to Miriam the next semester so I took her place permanently.  I taught for 3 school years.  I enjoyed my stay in MC.  My dept. chairperson, Mona Serrano, has always been very nice to me.  Our dean, Dr. Lupisan, always greets me by my first name even if we barely know each other.  The staff at CBEA, Lessie, Airene and Mel, don't forget to remind me of all the meetings and activities.  And of course, my students.  I was lucky enough to always have a good set of students every semester.  Bright, well-behaved, inquisitive and cheerful.  Maswerte ako at never ako nagkaroon na bulakbol na student sa MC.  I don't know if all MC students are like that o sa mga naging class ko lang.  This last batch was no exception.

Jen was a quiet one who sat at the back of the room.  I didn't know she was a good dancer until nakasama ko siya sa Teacher's Day program dancing the macarena.  Game pala tong batang to. 

Alou was the class beadle/president/utusan.  She was always dependable.  I would communicate to her all of my needs (Projector, air-con room, i'll be late, etc.) and you'd think she's in class na.  Pagdating ko, wala pa pala siya, so all that time she was coordinating those things to her other classmates.  Very responsible.

Mary Grace was the foreign student of the class.  Foreign meaning she belongs to another year and course.  I didn't get to establish a rapport with this girl just because she was very quiet, was absent a few times, and sat at the back.

Geols, who also sat at the back, was another quiet student.  In front of her, Cla, on the other hand, was the opposite.  I believe she was the source of all the tsismisan at the back.  I think their attention span there at the back was around 15 minutes (the worldwide average) 'coz after 15 minutes, Jackie and Danica would turn their heads to Cla and they would start their own showbiz talkshow at the back.

Kaye, the daughter of a party-list colleague of my dad, was the reluctant 'guest host' of the 4.  I notice she would try to pay attention in class, pero sometimes, siguro juicy yung tsismis sa likod, she'd also turn her head toward Cla and join the conversation.

Across Kaye was Em-em.  She was quiet and attentive.  Next to her was Epie.  This girl also belonged to another tsismis group.  Epie was with Madam, Jamie, Anik, Jaja and Jia.  Madam was called madam because allegedly her family owns 1/3 of Antipolo.  Jamie's family apparently owns D'Mall in Boracay.  Anik is an ilocana townmate who is also a part-time dance instructor.  Jaja is also from Ilocos and Jia I don't know where she's from but I do know that her boyfriend is a basketball player.  This group I call the laptop bag group because they sold laptop bags.

Then there's Des.  She's the rocker of the class.  She plays guitar (Kaye plays the drums naman).  She's quiet, but she's smart.  Rina M., I guess, owns the other 2/3 of Antipolo because her family owns 3 (?) resorts there.  Beside her is the dynamic duo of Genine and Bea.  These two are very smart.  They always get high in my quizzes and exams.  I have no problems with these two.

Now the front row.  Rina L. is my returning student.  She was in my business law class last school year.  She is deaf and she has an interpreter during class, but she speaks very well for a deaf person.  Very audible.  And I don't think she needs the interpreter because I think she understands what I say.  Either that or I talk really loud.  

Alexa is the loud one.  She's very noisy.  She's the most absent.  And if she comes, she's always late.  But I love her because she reminds me of my niece Rosanne.

Tere is another smart student.  She aces all of my exams.  Of all my students she's the most participative.  When I ask the class a question, 99% of the time, it's Tere who'll answer.  But sometimes I feel she's bordering on sipsip na.  But other than that, she's a model student.

Diane is another good student.  She asks a lot of questions.  Karen, for a student who sits in the front row, is very quiet.  Last is Muymuy, who like Karen is very quiet and demure.  She looks 15, small and frail.  But my God, when i saw pictures of her in a multiply site of one my students, press release lang pala niya yun kasi nagsusuot pala yan ng baby-t na nakikita na yung puson.  My gosh.  scandal.

Well, those were my students this sem.  My last one in Miriam.  Congratulations to all of you!  I hope and pray that all of you become successful in all your endeavors.  Disappointment will come your way, but do not falter.  Hold on!  Opportunity will come knocking.

Thank you, Miriam College, for taking me in to teach business and taxation law.  It might have just been 3 hours a week.  But it made a lot of difference to me as a person.

Til we meet again.



No comments: